effluent pump [RE-wrenches]

John Blittersdorf, Cent. VT Solar & Wind cvsolar at aol.com
Fri Mar 28 19:25:22 PST 2003

Kurt,
   I think we are talking about two different pumping scenarios.  The system
I am familiar with was a pumping system pumping from the output of a septic
tank (no solids) up to a mound system leach field about 40' above the house
and septic tank.  The pump was 3/4 or 1HP and was that large to dose the
whole leach field quickly to get the fluid into all the side spurs.  The tank
was just large enough to do one quick dose.  As I said in an earlier post,
the pump ran once every 6 days or so for 7 minutes was all that was needed.
I don't think the pump efficiency is all that important in this application.
Just a large enough inverter to start the pump.  They also had a well pump
and it could also start at the same time.  We hooked up two T240's, one on
the well pump (120V to the pressure switch and then to the transformer to
eliminate the ghost load ) and used the timer for the sewer pump.  We set the
run time (15 minute window) to fall during the least likely time for the well
pump to be calling for water.  This off grid home uses about 100 to 120 kwhrs
per month which also includes 3 pumps for the radiant heat system, power vent
on the Aquastar, power vent on the gas boiler, and all usual lighting, dish
washer, Sunfrost 16cf, computers etc.  It is a family of two so I guess the
pumps would work a lot more if the was larger.  This home is still the best
system I have installed...1200 watts of PV, Bergey XL.1 wind turbine and
Backup propane generator which ran only 10 hours during the last year.  And
the owners are teachers and he is a science teacher so at least some kids are
learning about RE.

John
CVSolar

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com