Altitude effects on PV performance [RE-wrenches]

Antony Tersol tony at appliedsolarenergy.com
Tue Mar 11 10:51:33 PST 2003

<x-flowed>
according to earth.usc.edu/~slund/systems/topic2.html

179 kcal/cm2/yr insolation at "top" of atmosphere

118 kcal/cm2/yr insolation at surface

61 kcal/cm2/yr absorbed by atmosphere

half the mass of the atmosphere is below 18000 ft

assuming absorption is proportional to mass, then would expect 149
kcal/cm2/yr at 18,000 ft,

=> 149/118 = 26% higher at 18,000 ft.

As a first approximation, assume absorption is constant thru 18,000 ft
=> 26%/18 = 1.4% higher insolation per 1000 ft above sea level.

Since the density decreases with altitude, it is likely that the
increase is faster at lower altitudes than at higher, so the increase
per 1000 ft  is probably somewhat higher at lower elevations, so that
the insolation does not increase as fast at higher altitudes.

Also, there is a paper at
www.nature.kau.se/nhc/hmrsc4/papers/ChEA_hm4.PDF specifically about
Tibet, but which seems to be concerned with overshadowing effects (all
those tall mountains cast mighty big shadows)

ABSTRACT
A digital elevation model (DEM) is developed to establish a insolation
model in central Tibet. From DEM, we can easily get follow factors:
elevation, slope, and aspect. On the basis of these terrain
characteristics and solar data for various dates, we established a
insolation model from which insolation maps were produced showing areas
overshadowed at different times of the year.