AC disco Wiring? [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Thu Mar 6 13:48:06 PST 2003

Keith,

Careful with the definition of "source". The code thinks a source is
something that has no controls like a generator or utility power being fed
from another panel. Inspectors get confused all the time.

Our PV inverter is essentially a negative load. Which way does the current
flow? Trick question--it's AC. All this stuff about backfed breakers and
direction of current flow is somewhat irrelevant. The utility is a VERY BIG
voltage source--put it on the line side so the load side is dead when the
switch is open. As you point out, the meter has to read power flow in the
proper direction so we connect the line side of the meter toward the
inverter.

Hope to see you soon in Kona. Catch a wave for me.

Bill.