blinded by the light?! [RE-wrenches]

Jerry Caldwell solarcowboy at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 19:30:44 PST 2003

Marco,

A Uni-Solar system of approximately the same size was
recently installed on San Francisco Int'l airport.
Steve Heckeroth boasts of persuading SF airport
officials to go with Uni-Solar because of the glare
"issue".

I can't help but wonder how these pilots land planes
at airports around the world with architectural glass,
skylights, and windows posing this hazard every day.

I thought BP abandoned production of thier amorphous
products.  Our company installed a residential system
utilizing BP's Millenia modules about 4 years ago &
the customer wasn't too happy with the output.  They
had the array changed out a few years later for
crystalline modules.

Jerry Caldwell
Light Energy Systems

--- "Mangelsdorf, Marco" <mmangelsdorf at hei.com> wrote:
> Just when you thought you had heard it all....We're
> trying to confirm a 25 kW a-Si project at a location
> which is in close proximity to an airport.  The PV
> system would be architecturally integrated into this
> new building and would be a real attention grabber.
> Well, some attention that we didn't necessarily want
> is from the state agency which has jurisdiction for
> the land surrounding the airport.  They're concerned
> that the PV array could pose as a reflective light
> flight hazard for incoming and outgoing commercial
> and general aviation aircraft.  How do you fight
> that?  We've got our friends at BP Solar on board to
> assist us as we deal with the "bureaucrats" but any
> additional help from you all would he much
> appreciated.  How can we deal with this?
>
> thanks in advance,
> marco
> ProVision Technologies, Inc.
> Hilo, Hawai'i