Energy efficient pumps. [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 3 06:58:59 PST 2003

I have completed several off grid hydronic heating systems that have worked
really well.   Most installations have only one or two small 1/25 HP pumps,
with all the separate zones controlled by motorized valves, not pumps.

The motorized valves only required a small amount of power to operate, and
all were on a common manifold making installation easy.  These valves,
controls, and the propane hot water boilers were Weil-McLain.

Also,  I have designed several whole house heating systems that used
hydronic wood fireplaces.  These had water enclosures around the wood
burning fire boxes, and the hot water was pumped to all areas of the house
with a single 1/20 HP pump.  I have never used more than two pumps for
houses up to 2000 sq.ft., and these were always in the 1/20 to 1/25 HP
range.

One of my "secrets" is to minimize all 90 degree fittings and pipe "tees".
Plumbers will put them everywhere because they do not pay attention to their
pipe locations and need lots of changes in direction.  These fittings can
cause far more piping head losses than the actual pipe.

I have seen some energy efficient designs for commercial building systems
that cut pumping horsepower down from 25 HP to 5 HP by replacing all 90
degree fittings with "sweep" 90 degree fittings and doing a better sizing of
all other piping and fittings to reduce these piping losses.

Just my 2 cents....

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com