wireless internet dish/wind turbine tower [RE-wrenches]

Tom Simko tom at skylinesolar.com
Mon Feb 17 07:15:31 PST 2003

Thanks for the advice Robert, I will be discussing the matter further with
them this week. I DO have a Trace SW and a SolarBoost 50DL within 100' so
we'll see what happens! The aerodynamics of the thing will also be a factor
of course, luckily my "good" wind comes from a different direction then the
side the dish would be on, and extending the tower height is an option also.
Thanks to my site being 1600' above the valley below he indicated they just
need it up 40' or so. I'll keep you all posted.

Tom Simko

on 2/17/03 7:55 AM, Robert Warren at robertwarren at mail.com wrote:

> [...]
> Since it is reliabilty they are after, and this will be a new
> installation, I highly recommend you tell them you need a whole new set
> of batteries, so everyone knows where they stand in regards to battery
> size, type, and age. You can always sell off your old set to someone
> else who is on a budget.
> Matt is right about the wind blade interference. They have tried it
> here in the UK, and there was a problem of some sort, but I don't
> remember how it was resolved. I think there was some magic number
> regarding how far apart they were from each other. In terms of strength
> of towers, the wind tower is usually engineered far stronger than
> needed, but once they start putting up one dish or two, they keep
> multiplying like rabbits, and before you know it, there are 12 or more
> small dishes and gizmos up there.  So you have to make sure you still
> have access to your wind genny if you ever have to climb or lay down
> your tower. They are used to paying for new towers, this would be the
> better option. You still have the land and provide them with the power,
> and still get to do the work and charge them a monthly fee for access,
> power, and rental.  Or, another approach, which will win you a lot of
> repeat business, is to size a dedicated PV ssytem to their equipement,
> and have the PV on the side of the new tower. This option, though,
> really boils down to whether or not you are willing to give up good wind
> positioning compared to whatever new air turbulence you would have with
> a 2nd towere in close proximity.
> Give 'em Hell, but be nice and give 'em what they need.
> (my paraphrase of Patrick Swayze, in Roadhouse)
> Robert Warren
> robert.warren at solarcentury.co.uk
>
> matthew tritt wrote:
>> Tom,
>>
>> Wow-eeee. This sounds pretty interesting. But. One thing you might be
>> careful about is any frequency noise from the turbine blades themselves
>> (plus the alternator of course). I seem to recall that there can be some
>> weird feedback, if that's the correct word, between a parabolic receiver
>> and
>> rotating blades. This was a big problem with windfarm installations way
>> back
>> when, but perhaps your blade arc swings far enough above the dish.
>>
>> Around here, central California, I've noticed the fruits of a suggestion
>> made early last year to a Cell phone tower installation company, in the
>> form
>> of conventional water pumping windmills sprouting up all over the place,
>> with no plumbing at all, just 4 inconspicuous antennae sticking out of
>> the
>> side of the towers! Kee=rap. I should have protected myself somehow.
>> Pretty
>> funny, considering you have to go through all kinds of pain to put a
>> wind
>> turbine in (not to methion a cell tower!) but not a pumper!

>>> Sweeet.... They want to provide me with free internet access using their

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com

This email was sent to: michael_welch at sbcglobal.net