Real Industry [RE-wrenches]

ASAP POWER! asap at podnine.com
Fri Feb 7 17:08:45 PST 2003

Also in the news this week, in San Diego's premier biz rag, San Diego
Business Journal, is some real industry in action.  There's no link unless
you want to register and pay $3 to read the article at www.sdbj.com , see
current issue.

Title: Del Mar Lights Up Fairgrounds With $4.8M Solar Project
ENERGY by Rene'e Beasley Jones

The author and sp is correct but they have the wrong summary listed. Pay no
attention to that, you'll get that article too.

Anyway, the CA Construction Authority, a state agency, with it's immense
buying power, has purchased some 60MW.  They have offered systems like Del
Mar is going to receive to all the state's fairground associations.  They're
selling these and installing with prevailing wage and bonding.  Del Mar
Fairgrounds, largest in the state, is getting a cool 1 MW (STC assumed) for
$4.8M.  Alameda County Jail has the only bigger system in the state as
reported at 1.1MW.   9700 panels here (reported as 2' x 4').  Don't know the
manufacturer but the man behind the Del Mar decision told me they were from
Japan.   This system purchase was just approved by the Board of Directors at
the Fairgrounds here.  The state grant, the SelfGen program will cover 50%
of that cost.   Estimated payback was reported as 10 years if today's rates
held constant.  I toured the facilities (11 large horse barns) with my offer
to present a competing bid for a system designed around their unique coastal
micro-climate, but after I learned what I was up against, there wasn't
anyway I was coming close to that!  It was fun thinking about it though.

I've sent the exit fees dispute letter to the CPU commissioners and Pres.
Peevey, and to the rest of my "downline."  I also let my contact at Del Mar
Fairgrounds know that this could effect their payback scenario and to start
sending letters!  Really, it's like taking candy from a baby.  Just mean and
a little too easy.  And for what?  Competitive transfer fee is for what new
competitor?  The sun?

PD
ASAP POWER!

The Union-Trib article, to its credit today, did have lots of good pictures
on the front of the Business section, at least the North County Coastal
version did if different.  Sure enough, I had two former recipients of
quotes calling in today thinking they had finally better get on it--after
seeing the article.  Our industry has more front page advertising than any
other except maybe the oil/energy industry.  Unfortunately, for the world,
those are usually pictures of things gone wrong--spoiled beaches (today),
struggling wildlife (last week) , broken con men leaving courtrooms (last
month)...