Real Industry [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Fri Feb 7 08:10:18 PST 2003

<x-flowed>
Excellent point, Dana.
I live and work in a part of California where there are NO rebates.
Like you, most of my work comes from offgrid or from folks who are
REALLY walking the talk. I've noticed that many-but not all (Don
Loweburg and other OGs come to mind)-of the most vocal SoCal folks on
this list didn't even DO PV before the rebates. SHW, maybe. PV, no.
Given CA's loose licensing laws, many wouldn't even be allowed to
Wrench in most other states except as outlaws (nothing wrong with a
COMPETENT outlaw, IMO) or to start as apprentices. So I kind of shake
my head too at what seems to be their lack of understanding of the
roots of PV and their lack of caring about what Wrenches have to do
to survive in the rest of the country. I guess it's hard to count
your blessings when the dough is rolling in. The scary part is that
these folks are up in arms DEMANDING that the dole continue unabated.
Hiring lobbyists to promote that. Granted, it's the American way, but
doesn't it sound familiar? Like the oil and coal companies, perhaps?
"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til
it's gone."- Joni Mitchell.
That being said, there are two points to consider in their behalf.
One, things change and a successful business will change and develop
where the market is. If CO had a similar program to what they enjoy,
you'd be all over it. So would I and any other business person with a
brain. Like the I Ching says, No Blame.
Two,-and this is the important thing-for better or worse, how goes CA
goes many other states. These proposed exit fees, if adopted, will
tend to keep PV off the roofs in other states as well. It's a
quasi-legal workaround the net metering laws. Let's face it, 90% of
the time, the local utility is not your ally here. They are merely
complying (usually dragging both feet) with a state law which they
vigorously opposed but lost. Given that, we should all support the
SoCal Wrenches in this particular matter. Chardonnay, anyone?
Best, bob-O

>"A problem will occur if and when the
>subsidies have dropped below a level that provides enough incentive for
>new PV construction.  This will present a dilemma for solar contractors,
>how do we provide free service calls if there is no more income being
>generated by new PV system installations? "
>
>"Graham Owen"
>
>Q - What did you do before the incentive program?
>Those of us in states without any government $ solar programs are laughing
>at this kind of California whine [ or is it the California wine]. So the
>question is really,
>"Is this a real industry or a government subsidy program?"
>
>If the root of the income source is government, and gov't. changes its mind
>[as it does] then what?
>

>Responsible Technologies for Responsible People.
>Great Solar Works, Inc.
>dana at solarwork.com - 970.626.5253
>Ridgway, CO, USA

- - - -