TC code reference [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Mon Feb 3 16:17:19 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Wiles" <jwiles at nmsu.edu>
The intent of 690.31(D) is to allow single conductor sunlight
resistant cables to be used in sizes 16 and 18 AWG.  Conductor
manufacturers do not make USE-2 in these sizes.  If it looks like
USE-2, smells like USE-2, is rated like USE-2 and is 16 or 18 AWG,
you can use it like USE-2.  It is not specifically related to the use
of tray cable, although, I suspect that it could be applied to TC if
it were available in small sizes, marked sunlight resistant, etc.

TC is allowed under 690.31(A) for PV systems.

In many cases, single conductor USE-2 is also marked TC.  Typically,
I have seen this in the larger sizes 4 AWG and up.

Tray cable type TC is usually available with two or more conductors
in an outer jacket or sheath and is generally (but not always) marked
sunlight resistant.

ASE Americas has been using TC for a number of years on some of their
UL listed modules where it has two conductors, an outer sheath, and
connects to an Alden Pulse Lock connector.  They provide a series of
clips that hold the cable in the module frame channel thereby
providing the cable with physical protection and supporting it.   UL
has listed this module and its tray cable pig tail as well as the
instruction manual showing how it is to be fastened.  The cable may
also be run in conduit (raceway) if you can get the connector to fit.
Inspectors have not had any problem with this module to the best of
my knowledge.

>John, your take on this, please?
>Allan

- - - -