MC connectors, warranties and PV system life [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 3 15:18:15 PST 2003

The July 2002 issue of Photon International <http://www.photon-magazine.com/>
had an article comparing Multi-Contact's MC and and Tyco's Solarlok
quick-connects. Nice graphic of Tyco's security clips. Not so nice pictures of
Tyco connectors with the caption "One can remove the cable from its housing with
a strong pull."

Article starts with, "Hans Oppermann, head of the German inverter manufacturer
Sun Power Solartechnik, is certain that the widely used connector system from
Basel, Switzerland-based Multi-Contact AG is unsafe. If one unplugs the
connector from a PV system while it is in operation, an arc can form between the
contacts and, in the worst-case scenario, start a fire or result in burns."

Further into the article, "Although according to Tyco the Solarlok plug
connectors are also 'contact-protected,' the company doesn't refer to protection
type IP2X [German TUV certification]. This journalist was able to squeeze her
(of course unstandardized) little finger into the housing to touch the pin. So
one should probably keep small children away from open Tyco connectors."

The article concludes with, "Even if one ignores the fact that Multi-Contact's
new plug connectors still have yet to be certified and really put to the test,
they still take first place as the safest project in our comparison. On the
other hand, Tyco's products are more user-friendly and less expensive than those
of its competitor...The older plug connectors from Multi-Contact will continue
to be available, though they will eventually be pushed off the market by one of
the newer products. Whether its the new MC plug connector or Tyco's Solarlok
system remains to be seen.

Susanne von Aichberger, the writer, did a nice job comparing the two
quick-connects. I even liked her Wrench-like comment about her "unstandardized
little finger." I like Photon and its German parent magazine
<http://www.photon.de> Both very high quality magazines. I encourage you to get
a sample copy and to subscribe.

My opinion is customers can either have quick-connects and lower cost or safer
and longer-lasting wire and metal conduit. Email me off-list for MC's cost
comparison.

Best regards,
Joel Davidson
"You get what you pay for."