MC connectors, warranties and PV system life [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Sun Feb 2 10:25:47 PST 2003

Hey Todd:

I didn't know you were a broadcast engineer.  Sorry about the lack of
appreciation you probably suffered!

Good point about the broadcast analogy.  We use stainless hose clamps or a
product called Wraplock, basically stainless strap with clips.  Finding a
stainless fastening for PV applications might help my confidence, but then
you need to buffer the connection with some rubber cushioning, like Andrew
heliax clamps.

This, however, is only one part of the problem of reliability.  Cables get
caught, pulled, abraded, tripped over, etc. in the normal course of a year
in any location.  I might mock up a tray cable installation and a conduit
installation and do some destructive testing just to satisfy my curiosity.
I just want to avoid any of my installations falling apart in 5 or even 10
years.  I feel that lots of eyes are on us as an industry, and short cuts
taken now WILL cause credibility issues later.

William

At 09:35 AM 2/2/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Black UV wire/cable ties will last about 5 years (if you are lucky) in an
>outdoor environment. They become brittle with exposure to heat and sunlight
>whether they are "UV resistant" or not.
>
>When I was doing broadcast engineering we ended up changing to good old
>black electrical tape for true long term securing of coax to antenna

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600     Fax: 805-438-4607
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
http://millerpowerandcomm.com
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP10
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 10
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com