Seasonal Heating [RE-wrenches]

sunwise sunwise at cheqnet.net
Thu Jan 30 11:04:14 PST 2003

Jim wrote: Has anybody tried running plastic tubes connected to solar
collectors underground 2-3 feet below a slab under a living space?

Yes, it is being done in WI.  The supply and return lines from the
collectors go to headers with a single SS ball valve for each loop on
the supply header.  In the system I worker on most recently there are
three shallow loops of 1/2 inch PEX tubing (300 feet each) in a six inch
bed of sand, one deep loop almost five feet down below the upper loops,
two shunt loops (one around the perimeter of the building and one buried
in the trench out to the ground mounted collectors, 6-4x8ft, about 40
feet away), and of course one "loop" over to the heat exchanger on the
SDHW tempering tank.

The shunt loops are used to dump the heat in spring and part of the
summer, the SDHW essentially runs year round, and the deep loop is
turned on in August.  The upper loops are turned on when the real
heating season approaches.

Bob Ramlow has done a number of these.  In WI, the deep loop is
important because November thru most of January is typically very
cloudy.  Bob refers to it as the Flywheel Heating System, you get it
spinning early while the sun shines bright.  The system I've been
involved in (home owner did much of the work and design) just went into
service this winter and the home is not yet insulated.  With the house
cold, the supply temp is coming off the collectors at about 90' and the
return temp is 50.  Two Hartel HEH-10 pumps plumbed in series circulate
the glycol solution powered by a 50 watt PV.  I'll let you know how it
works next year.

Kurt Nelson
SOLutions