ratcheting cyclometers [RE-wrenches]

Kelly Keilwitz kelly at whidbeysunwind.com
Wed Dec 10 18:52:26 PST 2003

Hi Todd,

The grid-feed to the critical load subpanel is irrelevant as far as the
Green Tags payments go. The customer is paid for all AC production from PV
(only - how to seperate out the wind production is another twist),  whether
they use the actual power or it makes it to the grid. We put the Green Tags
meter between the inverter and the main panel breaker. We want to use a
ratcheting meter so the customer doesn't loose credit for grid energy used
to charge the batteries, power the inverter, or supply the critical (backup)
loads. In these recent systems the subpanel loads are small (e.g. duplex
plug and power room lights) or only to be used when the grid is down. As I
see it, the only significant time that the customers would not be credited
for their use of renewable energy (what a concept!) is during the short
duration when the grid is down.

With significant subpanel loads like you describe I could see that a
sizeable portion of the PV AC production could be going to the subpanel and
bypassing the Green Tags meter. In that case, I see the importance of
metering the subpanel feed. But, is it possible to distinguish between grid
feed and PV feed to the subpanel?

The net metering - a seperate agreement with the Utility - is accounted for
with a utility-owned, dual readout digital net meter. The renewable energy
used by the customer (at the main service panel) could be calculated as the
Green Tags meter reading minus the net meter "out" reading.

-Kelly

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com