ratcheting cyclometers [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services toddcory at finestplanet.com
Mon Dec 8 06:55:00 PST 2003

Power generated is power supplied to the back up sub panel and any excess
generation delivered to the grid. The power to the sub panel is not only
supplied when the grid is down. When the grid is up the inverter's xfer switch
feeds grid power to these loads as well. (In my home this is all 120 volt
loads.) Not metering this feed would result in a highly inaccurate measurement
of PV power being generated.

Todd

Kelly Keilwitz wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
> Yes, in order to completely measure all of the RE AC output from the system
> the throughput to the subpanel loads should also be measured. However,
> since these systems are battery backup for a few loads where the grid might
> normally be down for 24 hours per year I disagree that the power to the
> subpanel is substantial (in these cases). The benefit in accuracy doesn't
> seem worth the extra cost and complexity of metering the subpanel AC output
> in addition to the grid AC out/input from the inverter to me.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com