Large residential system [RE-wrenches]

sunwise sunwise at cheqnet.net
Wed Dec 10 18:18:16 PST 2003

Gary wrote:

Thank you so much for the responses. It's always interesting to walk
into a system I did not design and attempt to make things right. I have
an appointment tomorrow morning with the owner to make a proposal, and
it will be something like:

Hey Gary and all following this post,

This is a very big system, and while I think it is great seeing more
"mainstream" homeowners going solar, I think it is also time for a
reality check.

I would think some efforts towards energy efficiency, heating appliances
fueled with LP gas (or perhaps some solar thermal where applicable),
could go a long ways here.  Put simply, this system needs a better load
profile to work with.  This looks like a classic case of "we built it
and bought all the stuff, now power it with solar (after the fact)".

Recommended additions to this system will cost many, many thousands of
dollars.  Maybe it is not too late, the general rule that one dollar
spent on energy efficiency will save three to five dollars on RE system
costs (and up-grades) may still apply.  Consider adding an up-grade
category.

Kurt Nelson

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com