Large residential system [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 23:25:00 PST 2003

Hello, I have wanted to give my solution since you
posted the problem however I have been to busy.   I
wish I had the job, I like these odd ball projects.

Here is what I would do.

Inverters
I would get rid of the SWs and replace with a Outback
Quad stack VFX3648.  I would use the stack to power
both panels.  In doing this I would reduce inverter
parasitic losses and increase the start current.  ( I
am currently starting a 130 amp 240 volt surge with an
Outback Quad stack).  Plan this with a Hub 10 so that
if the load exceeds the 14,400 watts you can simply
add inverters to meet the load.  If it is deemed that
a larger system is needed the Outback stack can be
increased to 8 inverters with confidence.  This is up
to a 28.8 kW system that under low power acts like a
single inverter in idle.
(Note Outback may be able to go to 12 inverters using
two Hubs)

Generator
The generator is key in this process, because the RE
system can’t be meet the peak demand for very long.  I
would change the generator to one of those from Canada
that gives 48 nominal volts DC which is capable of
battery charging and as battery replacement.  Such
that if the load is large enough the generator will
pick up the DC load and the inverters will process
this load.  I would size this generator to carry at
least  7.5 kW for the heat pump, and another 5 kW for
hot tub and other pumps, and 7.5 kW for the
miscellaneous residential  load.   ( One of my
customers has a large house and has many parties, he
has a non cooking, non heating or cooling load of 5 to
7.5 kW)   This is then a 20 to 25 kW Diesel generator
with as I said 48 volt nominal DC output.

Solar array
I would increase the solar array to 10 kW.  This would
allow powering the heat pump from solar and no
generator in the swing seasons.  I would look at the
average full sun hours and the typical load.  For
example, assume the RE system is to pick up the heat
pump for up to 25% operation or 6 hrs per day, or for
5kW for a 5 ton heat pump  is 30 kWh per day.  If
there are three full sun hours per day then 10 kW of
solar gives 30 kWh per day.

Batteries
The battery system should have a least about two day
capacity or 60 kWh at 33 % DoD or 180 kWh total
capacity at 48 volts or 3.6 kAh of capacity.  I think
you are stuck with flooded cells, and a maintenance
person needs to check these regularly.   I have had
good luck with C&D batteries for larger loads, also
Surrette.   Yes, do this with large 2-volt cells.   I
think the sealed batteries are great for occasional
cycling, never in parallel.  Your system sound like
the batteries are cycling batteries and need to be
flooded.  The amount of cycling I envision for your
system you could use either lead calcium or lead
antimony.  The lead calcium would use far less water
than the lead antimony.

http://photos.yahoo.com/

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com