NABCEP test disclosure [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at wwjv.net
Wed Dec 3 14:36:56 PST 2003

"Thank you all for proving my point to the exam committee
that trigonometry is beyond the scope, and maybe the ability, of a
competent
PV installer."

I do not think a pv system installer needs to memorize 3 dimensional
trig functions. However, I do think it is reasonable to expect an
installer to know how to calculate array spacing, rear leg lengths,
and shadow lengths using basic trig.   All solar system designers and
installers also need to understand the basic path of the sun, and how
time of day, latitude, and day of year impacts this path.

Back in the late 70's there was a major solar hot water project that
involved a large number of plumbing contractors installing simple
solar hot water heaters on hundreds of homes in a large residential
development.   I am sure there were no leaks(they were all licensed
plumbers), but if you viewed this development from an airplane when
the work was done, you could see every solar array faced a different
direction including many facing due north, and most were in the shade.

I have worked with many licensed electricians we have hired to help
with pv installations, and although their work would pass code, most
had no understanding of how to locate an array or why a nearby chimney
was a problem.  In addition, most did not want to know.

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm