NABCEP test disclosure [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Tue Dec 2 13:59:20 PST 2003

Jay,

Now we're talkin'. Thank you all for proving my point to the exam committee
that trigonometry is beyond the scope, and maybe the ability, of a competent
PV installer. I am still wondering how you develop a realistic
quantification of shading using Trig. I took out two full pages of Trig
explanation in the Study Guide because I thought it would  cause more harm
than good. The Task Analysis determines what is and is not important for the
PV installer and the word Trigonometry is not found in the task analysis.

Measuring azimuth and altitude angles of obstructions and plotting them on a
sun chart is more useful than trig, but even that is more difficult than a
competent installer is willing to do (it also does not quantify the impact
of shading).

Everyone seems to be dancing around the fact that shading evaluation tools
are few and far between. Even though the Solar Pathfinder is not without
problems, I am unaware of anything that come close from the standpoint of
flexibility.

Any Wrenches have a better means of calculating shading that is currently
available on the market today? Bring it on.

Bill.