Solar Arrays. [RE-wrenches]

sunwise sunwise at cheqnet.net
Mon Dec 1 18:48:22 PST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Emerson,

I am interested to know if there is thought to be any advantage in
painting the back of solar modules black.  My idea is to lower the panel
temperature by increasing the radiant heat and lowering the cell
temperatures.

Hey Carl,

I'm no expert in the laws of thermodynamics, but I'd say that you would
indeed increase radiant heat losses to the module at some time periods
(especially early evening/nite when modules are warm and there is no
daytime incidental solar radiant energy bouncing about), but that it may
be a heat gain during high solar periods (reflective/incidental gain),
but probably either way would not greatly impact cell temp.

Kurt Nelson

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm