NABCEP test disclosure [RE-wrenches]

eenergy33 at aol.com eenergy33 at aol.com
Mon Dec 1 05:50:54 PST 2003

Group,

    I would like to chime in with one point, and perhaps make a suggestion
regarding Jeff's point about whose calculation methods one uses, or would need
to use to pass.  There is an appeal process, isn't there?  And while there was
not specific space given to record calcs, the only paper we had was in the
test booklet, which was collected.  If there was an official calculations sheet,
with question numbers referenced, then there would be solid eveidence for one
who wanted to appeal, and felt that any bias they experienced on the test (ie
which version of calcs to use) effected their results.
They could use their actual calcs to argue the appeal.  I think this would
potentially help with the bias issue.  Is it ideal to have to go through this,
no.  But, I think it may be one way to make the existing structure, without
disclosure, more fair to those who don't pass.
    All in all, I think the Nabcep board has spent a lot of time trying to
develop a test and process that is as fair and representative as possible.
Initially, I was not excited about another certification, with another need for
recertification, etc.  But I now feel that Nabcep, with its flaws and points of
contention, is the best work we have on the table looking toward a national
certification that will actually mean something for us wrenches.

Jim Grundy
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™

Elemental Energy
1750 Clark Rd