Whisper woes [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater, Village Power Design clrwater at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 16 20:43:21 PST 2003

<x-flowed>
Hi John,

Sounds like it may be just stuck in it's furled position (machine
head tilts back and tail goes to right angles with shaft).  They are
prone to sticking up.  Either the shock absorber is sticky or the
furling pivot is worn.  As you may know their were a number of
recalls for Whispers produced in the late 90s.  As I remember, one
had to do with the shims and spacers on the furling pivot.  You might
want to get the list of the 4 or 5 recall items from SW Wind before
you go out.

Hope that helps!

Jeff C.

>Hi,
>    I just received this email from a customer too far away to make the trip
>without having an idea what I'm getting into.  Here is his email:
>
>" My wind generator has broken.  The tail is not straight behind  the
>generator.  It is 'L' shaped.  What do you think has happened?  It
>is cock-eyed and
>not working.  Has a pin sheared or something?  Are you interested in
>helping me
>fix it?  Are you busy?  Please advise.
>Thanks, Brian
>
>This is a customer installed Whisper.  I think it is an H40 or H80. I hooked
>up the wires but was not involved in installing the tower or turbine.  He put
>it on a home made 25' tower not even clearing the ridgeline of his house 30'
>away.  It has produced very little power and I would't expect it would be
>hammered by high winds though the wind it would get would probably
>be turbulent.
>Anyone hazard to guess what broke?
>
>John Blittersdorf
>Central VT Solar & Wind
>

>--
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
http://www.villagepower.com
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village

Office:  (413) 256-6777,  Cell: (720)480-8455
Fax:  (413) 825-0372
61 Baker Road
Shutesbury, MA 01072;
PO Box 115
Boonville, CA  95415
(707) 895-9015
Fax: (707) 897-0224

Council Member - Ecovillage Network of the Americas - http://www.ecovillage.org
Advisory Board - Living Routes - Ecovillage Education -
http://www.livingroutes.org
Founder:  Ecovillage Research, Development, and Demonstration Program:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~clrwater/RDD/rdd.html

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com