Sharp SunVista and new panels [RE-wrenches]

mlafferty at universalenergies.com mlafferty at universalenergies.com
Thu Nov 6 14:44:12 PST 2003

Andy C wrote:

>  I have been hired for a new residential PV project that seems to cry
out
for the new trangular Sharp panels and their new 3500 SunVista inverter
(Hip roofs meeting at 45 degree angles and half the panels will face SE
and half will face SW.)

So does anybody out there have some experiences to report with this
equipment yet?

Andy:

First things first.... How's the budget?

The triangular shape of roofs is a direct conflict with the traditional
rectangular shape of modules.  Always has been.  My hat is off to Sharp
for bringing a "triangular" shaped piece of glass to market to address
this issue!

Our options are limited when putting together a system design and
installation under these circumstances.  Some of the limiting factors
are:  Desired System Size, Aesthetics, Available and Suitable Roof
Surface, and COST.

While I have no deployment experience with either of the products you
mention yet, I have explored various scenarios and layouts using them.
Layouts look good "on paper".  Quoted costs become something else.
Understanding project budget limitations is crucial to the process.

I hope this factor changes for the better so manufacturers are
encouraged to develop products meeting this very real issue facing each
of us in the future.

Pray for Sun!

Matt Lafferty
Universal Energies Institute