Self Regulating micro PV system [RE-wrenches]

joeldavidson at earthlink.net joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 6 08:30:05 PST 2003

Summer 1982, at the request of Arco Solar I tested their 30-cell modules
and reported that the M61 did not charge batteries in summer due to low
voltage and, without a charge controller, could over-charged batteries in
winter. Unfortunately, Arco marketing had already decided to roll out the
30-cell module. Some of you may remember this was the same time that Arco
pushed the Delco 12-5000 15% d.o.d. battery as the right battery for
off-grid systems. Several other PV techs reported that the 30-cell module
and 12-5000 battery were bad ideas, but Arco management and their in-house
techs toed the party line to the bitter end. A few years later, the same
Arco people claimed that they developed the "improved" 36-cell module.