NABCEP exam [RE-wrenches]

mlafferty at universalenergies.com mlafferty at universalenergies.com
Mon Oct 27 04:10:52 PST 2003

Jerry C Wrote:

> It seems there should be some forum to discuss this so
that the test can improve.  I did register several
remarks on specific questions on the comment form
given us after the exam,

> Since most of the questions were modeled after
questions in the study guide which is available to
anyone online I can't see harm coming of discussion.
Won't they revise the questions for the next round
anyway?

> I answered "gloves" for that
question even though I usually don't use any of the
items that were offered as answers for that one.
Here's to the next round of practitioners getting a
test with more relevant questions

Wrenches:

Jerry raises some good points that I think most of us are concerned
about.

I find that the question already "on the table" has merit and is
relevant.... As a reminder to "think about what you're doing and what
the risks are", if nothing else.

The VAST MAJORITY of job-related injuries I've witnessed and/or been
affected by were not due to "freak" accidents or situations.  They have
been the result of not paying attention or not following reasonable
safety precautions when performing everyday tasks!  Our brains "shut
off" when we are doing something "we've done a thousand times
before"....

Taking guys to the Dr's office, filling out the Comp Forms, Incident
Reports and Med Forms is a pain in the keester.  Not to mention lost
work time, re-scheduling, "post-incident" crew briefings and reminders,
follow-up care, and in some cases, Insurance Investigations.... All for
a "little thing" that could have been prevented!

We've all had many cuts, burns, bruises, scratched eyeballs, sprained
ankles, stabs, etc. that we haven't gone to the Doc's office for.  How
many of them could be prevented by a pair of gloves, safety glasses,
slowing down, using the right tool for the job, etc.?

I've personally been injured on the job three times in my life that
required medical care.  One was due to a fellow employee "horsing
around" unexpectedly with a tractor when I was 14.  I couldn't have
protected myself from that.  My glasses shattered, embedding fragments
all over my forehead and nose area.  Required stitches.  Character
marks!

The second was due to a fellow employee unexpectedly moving in the wrong
direction while carrying a stack of rain gutters over our heads, age 17.
Gloves would have prevented slicing the flesh from the entire side of my
finger.  Exposed the bones in two places.  I insisted that the Dr. not
stitch it back together... Just clean it good and let it heal.  That, in
my opinion, was the correct call.  20 years later I have only a couple
of Character Marks as a reminder.

The third time was due to, Pay Attention Roof Toppers!!!!, stepping from
a roof elevation to a different surface at a PV Site.  I was not in a
hurry and was paying attention.  What I didn't recognize was the frosty
surface!  7:15 AM on the North side in April.  Who'd have thought?  I do
now!  That one cost me a puncture/tear just above my hip at the
beltline.  It was pretty deep and gnarly.  The bruise hurt worse and
longer to tell the truth.  I didn't even know I was bleeding until I
decided to check the bruise about a half-hour later and found my shirt
stuck to my side.  I didn't think it was significant, other than a "look
out for North Side Frost" lesson.  Since it was "on the job" I had to
tell the boss.  He made me go to the Doc, do all the paperwork, go
through all the crap and so on.  I only lost about 5 or 6 hours total
counting the mandatory follow-up visits.  I did limp for a week or so
from the bruise.

I almost took a near "head-in" landing on that one, but caught myself at
the edge with one hand, leaving me half-off and half-on staring down at
the ground.  If that would have happened, I'm sure the bruise on my hip
would have hurt much less!

I share this stuff to reinforce the importance of paying attention and
using reasonable and appropriate safety measures at all times.  The
simple reason, BESIDES LAWYERS, for all the "rules and regulations" is
your government's perceived "duty" to protect you from yourself!
People can't be expected to exercise reasonable judgement, so we all
become burdened with more "rules".

I don't have any idea what the other offered answers to the question "on
the table" were, but I personally recommend using both of the ones
mentioned..... At the appropriate times!  I am left to wonder if "safety
glasses" or "eye protection" was offered... I believe that to be very
important.  Hardhat or Head Protection.... (Safety Helmets is what OSHA
calls them...) ????  Depends, in my opinion.  I believe hardhats can
cause neck injuries when in low-overhead surroundings.  (See my X-rays
for reference....)  I'd rather have a bump on my noggin than a wrenched
neck caused from being 2" taller than normal!!!!!

I do wear my "steelies" for almost every type of work, including
inspections!  (Like I will be doing on Monday)  I personally don't use
gloves as much as I should and have paid the price on many occasions!
Like Sunday afternoon for instance!

My daughter and I were doing some Shade & Power testing on a couple of
old Poly-si's in my backyard.... It was sunny and warm so I thought it
would be fun to hook up a little submersible pump with a garden hose,
stuff the thing in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and see how much
water we could pump, how far we could shoot a stream and how bad shade
hurts it.  After about an hour of fun with that, it was time to pick
things up and that's when the GLOVES proved to be the correct answer....
(We were both barefoot, by the way...  I know, water, electricity,
barefoot????)

You've all experienced it, I know, but we all forget some of the simple
things too often.  HOT frames!  Just carrying the modules 20' to the
living room left a bright red mark across the inside of each palm.  I
grabbed my Fluke IR Thermometer and measured the temp of the glass and
the frame.... Glass was 141F and frame was 149F.... If I had picked one
up and dropped it on my foot because it was too hot, then the boots
would have helped as well!

As far as public discussion of specific questions on the exam, I'm not
for it.  Don't risk being DQ'd after you've gone to the effort to take
the test!  This one has been put "on the table" already, and I hope my
comments about relevance and reinforcing the safety aspect isn't
regarded as inappropriate.

Jerry C did the right thing by filling out the comment card.  I hope
others did as well, since the one-on-one feedback I've received
indicates a general consensus that many felt quite a few of the
questions had multiple answers that could have been correct under
various reasonably imaginable situations.... This indicates a possible
need for more specifying details in the questions, to me.

Another general consensus has been that a fair part of the test included
topics and specific applications that many have not encountered, and/or
ever will.  This reinforces my long-held opinion, desire, and support
for a "multi-level" certification.... i.e. "Non-Backup Grid Connected",
"Backup Grid Connected", "Stand Alone", "Inspector", and the grandest of
them all.... "Master".  I intimately understand the complexities of
this, but believe for many reasons that it needs to be honestly
considered.  I'll volunteer to write the tests for "Non-Backup Grid
Connected" and "Inspector"....

This approach would more accurately represent the faces of the Industry,
as it exists and will exist in the foreseeable future.  It puts
application relevant certification within reach of those who may work
within a given industry segment now and grow to include others in the
future.  It supports those who will work in a given segment forever.
Expecting a broad cross-section of practitioners to "know it all" is
unrealistic.  Plain and simple.

It also mirrors the approach of other national and state certifications.
Like ASE... "Brake Systems", "Drive-Train", "Automatic Transmission",
"Manual Transmission", "Electronic Control Systems", "Lubrication",
"Passenger Safety Systems", etc.

For the record, I haven't discussed any specific questions with anybody
and don't want to.  I want to be "pure" when I take it!  I'll forward my
next six-month schedule to NABCEP so they don't schedule it when it will
be a personal conflict... Like this last time!  LOL

I am very interested, as we all are, to know the following:

1.  How many candidates actually took the exam?
2.  How many passed and receive certification?
3.  Will the names of the proud Certificate Holders be published and/or
posted in a "readily accessible" manner?  (NEC Articles.....)
4.  When will the next exam be scheduled?

Best to all....

The Sun will be up an hour earlier than two days ago for most of us!
Well, just under an hour, to be accurate....

Matt Lafferty
Universal Energies Institute
mlafferty at universalenergies.com
(916) 422-9772