12 VOLT controller [RE-wrenches]

Pat Redgate solarpro at aol.com
Mon Oct 13 17:27:49 PDT 2003

In a message dated 10/12/2003 , solarman4 at yahoo.com writes:

> It needs to be a 12VDC power supply.  We are currently using an inverter
> and
> 110Vac differential.  It's off-grid and we don't have the extra .5A to
> waste.

  I have gotten around using a differential controller for PV powered hot
water systems by running the DC power through a collector mounted snap switch and
then through another snap switch on the tank.  In fact you can run your 12v
line through the lower (or upper) thermostat (also a snap switch) on a standard
electric water heater.  The adjustable tank snap opens on rise (usually
adjustable between 110 to 150 F) and shuts off the pump when the temp you set is
attained.  The snap switch on the absorber closes on rise (can also be
adjustable) which would prevent the pump from running until a preset temp is achieved.
Not as efficient as a differential controller, but works very nicely on a
standard TWO tank system.  On a ONE tank system you would want to make sure that
the collector snap is set at >tank temp.

Snap switches are $5 to $10 and you can get them anywhere from Grainger's,
Johnstone or your local HVAC supply.

But, I'd much rather use an off the shelf DC Diff Controller.

Patrick A. Redgate
AMECO
Long Beach, CA
(562) 595-9570