flooded v. sealed batteries [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 28 19:49:37 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Hi Wrenchies,

I haven't heard anyone chime in for Surrette's 25 line -  the big 6
and 8 volters.  I have one set of 8 volters in the field and they are
going strong but it's only been 5 years.  I like the size - a good
compromise between L16s which seem to die to early and batteries that
require fork lifts to just bring them in.

Others experience with the surrettes?

Jeff C.
Village Power Design

>Hello Wrenches
>
>Joel's number are correct and represent an average lifetime.
>
>What we shouldn't forget is that no system is "average." The number
>one factor in battery longevity is the user. Regardless of battery
>type and the balance of the system's design, it is the user is who
>determines if the battery lives long or fails in a few years (or
>even months).
>
>A user who completely depletes the battery routinely without
>routinely returning it to full state of charge will have a short
>lived battery. A user who neglects the equalizing charges will have
>a short lived battery. A user who neglects proper battery watering
>will have a short lived battery.
>
>Educate the user. Then nag them.
>
>Richard
>
>At 15:38 -0700 09/28/2003, Joel Davidson wrote:
>>Bruce,
>>
>>No argument here. PV systems with good forklift batteries that are properly
>>sized to start with and well maintained last 10 to 15 years as
>>compared to T105s
>>and L16s maintained just as well that last 6 to 12 years.
>>
>>Bob Hammond's battery survey at
>>http://www.sandia.gov/pv/docs/PDF/IEEE2.pdf is a
>>little dated but shows what batteries U.S. PV integrators were buying and
>>selling.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Joel Davidson
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com

877-SOLARVillage
413-256-6777,  Fax 413-825-0372