short lived UPS system [RE-wrenches]

Richard Perez, Home Power magazine richard.perez at homepower.com
Fri Sep 26 11:16:36 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Hello Wrenches

OK, I'll put my two cents in on this lead-acid battery topic. This
info was gathered from my personal experience, feedback I've had from
HP readers and RE dealers, and reading the published technical
literature on L-A batteries.

Lead-acid batteries do not benefit from cycling. The only battery
technology which exhibits "memory effect" is the small sintered plate
Ni-Cds (flashlight cells). All other technologies last the longest
(calendar lifetime and cycle lifetime) when shallowly discharged.

I think that the key here is equalizing charges. In a series/parallel
array of L-A cells it is inevitable that the SOC of some of the cells
becomes unequal. The equalizing charge is the only way to bring all
cells to full charge.

If equalizing charges are not performed, then sulfation and dendrites
(whiskers to plate material which form inter-plate short circuits)
set in. As some cells get sulfated (consider them lazier), the other
cells work harder. This situation is easy to diagnose--sulfated cells
have radically lower voltage under discharge, radically higher
voltage under charge, and these cells consume more water than other,
healthy cells. The equalizing charge is the answer.

Batteries with a high number of parallel elements are more
susceptible to this problem. I think that a L-A battery should have
no more than three parallel strings of cells, two is better, and one
is ideal. The higher the number of parallel elements, the more
critical it is that equalizing charges be performed on schedule.

Even batteries in float service need periodic equalizing charges. It
is very difficult to find that voltage "sweet point" for cells which
are floated. This voltage set point varies with temperature, battery
manufacturer/model, service, and even the cabling connecting the
array of cells.

Some makers of sealed AGM cells now recommend "equalizing" their
product. This is not a true equalizing charge since the battery
cannot deal with the gasses produced, but merely raising the
regulation voltage for a period of time. This is, however,
recognition that even sealed L-A cells can exhibit unequal states of
charge in a large battery array. Once again, a controlled overcharge
is the only way to bring all the cells back to an equal SOC.

Roy is correct in saying that once a neglected battery pack has
reached the state where the unmindful customer complains, it is best
to replace the whole battery pack and not just the worst elements.
Symmetry and sameness is as important in a battery as it is in a PV
array.

Richard

At 17:02 -0400 09/25/2003, EH Roy wrote:
>Todd,
>
>I'm sure Richard Perez can explain the physics behind this but lack of
>cycling and equalizing of batteries kept in a continuous float condition
>causes something called "mossing". Essentially fine pieces of lead flake off
>and collect at the bottom of the cell. When they collect to the point where
>they reach the bottom of the plates it shorts the plates and charging takes
>more and more energy because of the short. The short results in increased
>battery temp during charging - you'll notice it. Increased water usage is
>another symptom. If you try to do a vigorous charge of batteries that have
>undergone mossing you will notice that the electrolyte is cloudy because of
>the fine particles of lead in suspension.
>
>As usual, don't try to replace only the shorted battery with a new one. The
>others in the bank have almost assuredly undergone mossing as well and it
>will only be a matter of a short time before more plate shorting occurs.
>Replace the whole bank.
>
>I learned this from Trojan when one of our Y2K customers ended up with a
>failed battery bank due to mossing because all he had done for maintenance
>was check electrolyte levels.
>
>Richard, I encourage you to add, clarify, and correct as appropriate.
>
>Thanks,
>E. H. Roy
>Solar Works Inc.
>64 Main Street