3648 question/jay peltz [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Sep 2 11:26:14 PDT 2003

jay peltz wrote:
> Say with the 3648 do I use the same 100 amp breaker? or should I go with
> the next size up?

The 100 amp breakers are somewhat acceptable but are at the limit:

   3600 / 48 / .90 * 1.25 = 104 amps

The real issue is that the VFX can do over 4200 watts for 30 minutes
from a cold start - so I advise using the 175 amp breaker when possible
to avoid the possibility of tripping the DC breakers. The larger 1.5"
wide "GJ" type breakers also have a lot more time delay in my experience
than the smaller 1" wide breakers.

> Also what is the status of the autogenstart situation?

We are working on it.  I am just finishing up the latest additions to
the "advanced generator start specification" document and am willing to
forward a copy of it to anyone interested (email me).  Any and all
comments would be appreciated and considered in the development process.

The OutBack "advanced generator start system" only requires that the
MATE be upgraded - not the inverter - so adding it to any exisiting
OutBack inverter systems will be easy.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com