Green Tags [RE-wrenches]

Holt Kelly hkelly6 at msn.com
Tue Aug 12 14:05:39 PDT 2003

Wrenches,
>From the CEO of Mainstay Energy. One thing he does not mention is that
the sytems DO NOT have to be exporting to the grid--they meter total
output of sytem. Also, as I understand it, no entity has to give you
permission to sell the green tags. Hope this is of interest.

Holt,

Good to talk to you yesterday.  Per our conversation, I do definitely
want to reach the members of PV-Wrenches that you mentioned.  If you
don't mind doing a post on our behalf, then you can offer this:

---------------------------------------

Mainstay Energy is actively involved in the purchase of Green Tags (also
known as RECs, TRCs, Green Certificates) from small and medium scale
renewables.  The main focus of our effort is currently on PV solar
sources, but we do trade in other renewables such as small wind,
low-impact hydro, etc.

We function as an aggregator, certifier, and marketer for these small
scale installations.  As an aggregator, we are able to combine the
output from thousands of sites into quantities which are attractive to
the wholesale and retail markets.  As a certifier, we ensure that the
end products are certified according to the premier standards in the
industry, which is usually the Green-e standard for national products,
as well as state-level certification for regional products.  As a
marketer, we actively seek out the markets where the tags we acquire
will command a good premium.

Contracts with individual generators are usually 3,5, or 10 years.  The
price for the Green Tag contracts usually "float" quarter to quarter
according to market prices, but we are also sometimes able to enter into
fixed-price or up-front contracts as well.  The difference in contracts
depends on the state and current market conditions.

We do work with RE industry members such as dealers and installer, both
to help introduce green tag sales to past installations, and also to use
them as a selling tool moving forward.  If you are interested in your
firm participating, please visit our web site and apply to the Partners
Program.  If you have any further questions about Mainstay Energy or
what we do, please give me a call or email (contact info given below).

Hoyt Hudson
CEO, Mainstay Energy

Hoyt Hudson
Mainstay Energy