the S-5 solution to standing seam roofs? [RE-wrenches]

Brad Bassett bsbassett at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 10 19:58:02 PDT 2003

marco mangelsdorf wrote:
"..one seemingly attractive option would be to use this S-5 clamp from
Dynamic Fastener."

I think the manufacturer of the S-5 clamp can give you engineering data
on the strength of the clamp. I think the real issue, and main unknown
in most cases, is the strength of the roof you are clamping to. Most
roofs are designed to resist the required wind load as is, and I doubt
that they are engineered or installed to resist much more than that
requirement. When you clamp a solar array to the roof, it increases the
wind load, possibly a lot. So I think the question is not if the S-5
clamps will hold, but if the roof itself will hold with the extra wind
load. You would probably have to get an engineer from the roofing
manufacturer, if you could find one, or a consulting engineer to look at
the roof and give an OK for the extra loading, or if you would have to
reinforce the roof.

Another issue with the S-5 clamp is what profile the standing seam is. A
true standing seam that is flat is what these clamps are made for, but
there are other snap together or decorative profiles on which the clamp
won't work. It's good to check out the roofing type before considering
the S-5.

I don't mean to sound negative about the S-5, because when all of this
falls into place they work very well from what I've heard.

Thanks,

Brad Bassett
Alternative Energy Engineering
Olympia, WA office