EPDM Roof Jacks/Flat Roof [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Mon Jul 21 12:46:57 PDT 2003

Hey Jeff,

I have always used all metal flashings on flat roofs since most flat
roofs in So Cal have a hot mop roof application process, which can cause
burns on the boots resulting in weakness or penetrations.  On sloped
roofs I like the Oateys with the rubber boots since this allows for a
lower array profile and the application of comp shingles or tiles does
not present a possibility of burnt boots.

Your installation on a flat Hypalon roof with 7” standoffs leaves you
with several options.  If the roofer recommends all EPDM flashings then
that is probably the way to go since the roofer will warranty roof
exposure.  The best sealant that I am aware of for bonding EPDM to
Hypalon is “UltraGuard ® PVC Membrane Adhesive” manufactured by Johns
Manville.  This is their product description:  UltraGuard PVC Membrane
Adhesive is designed for bonding Ultraguard PVC membrane to metal, wood,
concrete and certain roof insulations and should be used in adhered wall
flashings or other vertical surfaces.  Solvent-based membrane adhesive
does not have slope limitations.  The adhesive is easily spread, has
good initial tack and dries to an elastomeric bond.

I would try and keep as many of the EPDM roof flashings in the shade of
the array as possible as opposed to being in direct sunlight, which over
the course of a decade or two seems to make almost any non-metallic
material deteriorate.

I am wondering if the Hypalon seams on your roof are glued or welded
with a heat process?

BTW, the latest news I have from the CEC is that solar energy is so
popular that the rebate funding, which was supposed to last through 2006
will be exhausted by the end of 2003.  It seems like every time solar
contractors get comfortable sucking on the rebate nipple the hog gets
butchered before we get weaned.  I am now refocusing on selling solar
thermal installations in L.A., which can be challenging, but at least no
one can pull the plug on me.

Best regards and good luck,

Graham Owen
GO Solar Company