Nursery Root Heating System [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 13 12:06:38 PDT 2003

We are currently working with a client building a large solar heated
greenhouse with both passive thermal heat and photovoltaic to power his fans
and lights.  The Greenhouse is constructed with massive masonry walls (over
16" thick) and floors with major insulation, and we have multiple thermal
water holding "wells" at a low point across the 80 foot front.

The system is not completed yet, but includes large raised fish tanks and
combines the waste water with the plant fertilizing process - I wont go into
that now, but I do know that heating the roots of his plants allows them to
grow even when the space is fairly cold.  I never understood why all
greenhouses didn't do this, as it is easier to heat a small diameter piping
loop than a big room totally walled with poorly fitted glass windows.  I
also know that his hot water does not need to be super hot, since it is
close to the plant roots.  Hopes this helps and check with me off line for
more info.

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com