Fw: Update on NABCEP certification: WAKE UP !!!! people. [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Tue Jun 3 20:26:15 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Todd and All,
NABCEP has no power to tell ANY state ANYTHING. We wrote a letter to
the CEC asking them NOT to tie the better rebate to certification.
The CEC went ahead and wrote that into the rules anyway. IMO, the CEC
made a huge mistake allowing A and B licensees to do solar electric
work. While no doubt a few are good PV Wrenches, in the greatest
part, they are just not qualified by virtue of training or experience
to do solar and that goes for most C-10s and C-46s as well. I believe
that the CEC now realizes that and is trying to swing the rudder back
a little. It's unfortunate that NABCEP has to take the heat and
paranoia for that mistake.
We at NABCEP totally agree with you that the certification must be
voluntary. And it will be. If some states believe that their public
benefit money is better spent on systems installed by competent,
certified contractors, it's up to them. Frankly, it's hard to argue
with that logic, but NABCEP has no control or influence over what
they do in any case.
And speaking of NABCEP, let me clear the air on a thread that came
through a short while back. As a NABCEP director, I have absolutely
NO leg-up on certification, jobs, contacts, or whatever. None of it.
I'll have to qualify for and take the same test as y'all. I've not
seen the questions pool nor will I until I sit down to test. The same
goes for ALL NABCEP directors. Anyone who says otherwise is full of
bullshit right up to their eyebrows. End of story.
Best, Bob-O

--
Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection
PO Box 203, Hornbrook, CA 96044