flat mount dilemma [RE-wrenches]

Robert Warren robertwarren at mail.com
Sun Jun 1 23:33:22 PDT 2003

Keith,
 Take a look at the specifications from Schott on their FS system. This
is a flat roof-ballasting method of installing the glass/glass modules,
which are a lot heavier than normal modules.
 They are only a 5 degree tilt for rain runoff, and eleiminating wind
uplift. Considering you are in Hawaii, 5 Degrees should be fine. I am
not familiar with the type of roofing material called rooled brie. Is
this soft like Brie cheese? If that was the case, you would definately
want something structural in the waay of a supporting grid. But with no
access, you are pretty much stuck to a ballast method. There is one
other ballast method, with what looks like black polyetheylene mounting
trays. They can be used at either a 30 degree or a 60 degree angle, and
you fill the inside of these pans with concrete blocks or gravel. They
are called Intersols, I think, but I only know about them being sold in
England. I don't know if anyone has them over there.
Robert Warren

Darryl Thayer wrote:

> Hello
> I have ideas and some flat roof experience, however I
> am far from an expert.
>
> When I think flat roof I think ballast pans.  I favor
> a flatter array than optimal to keep the array lower
> to the roof.  Can you even lay the array on the roof
> to prevent wind uplift?  If the ballast pans are
> placed on styrofoam to prevent sharp edge effects and
> the load is kept to less than 20 pounds per square
> foot on the pan/pad?  I usually design for a maximum
> uplift of 15 lbs./sq.ft. on the array.  Here in
> Minnesota we have to keep the array fairly vertical,
> where you are I do not know how to calculate wind
> forces because the array is so flat.  Some one with
> aero experience should help.
>
> Daryl
>
> --- keith <kcronin at lava.net> wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I am looking at a pv project with a flat roof.  It
> > is rolled brie with
> > plywood underlayment.  It sits on z bar purlings.
> > Inside the building
> > is a 1'x1' spline tile ceiling with zero access.  I
> > am wondering about
> > the best method for mounting racking without
> > compressing the roofing
> > material and creating more burden on the roof. I
> > would desire to bolt it
> > thru to the z bar, but it is impossible.  I have
> > engaged a few roofers
> > and they all had a different approach.  I personally
> > would like to mount
> > thru to the z purlings.  I am not sure about the
> > strength and tear of
> > these stainless steel self tapping screws.  I assume
> > you need to pre
> > drill to get them started.
> >
> > I was considering using Pro Solar Products roof jack
> > or a similar stand
> > off product and have each one hot patched by a
> > roofer because I don't
> > always feel comfortable with the standard roof
> > conduit penetration boot
> > methodology, especially on a flat roof where water
> > can pool.
> >
> > Any thoughts on this pursuit?
> >
> > Keith Cronin
> > Island Energy Solutions
> > 318 A Kuulei Road
> > Kailua, Hawaii 96734
> > 808-262-3268 Tel
> > 808-263-0338 Fax
> > www.islandenergy.net
> >
> > - - - -
> > To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com
> >
> > Archive of previous messages:
> > http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/
> >
> > List rules & etiquette:
> > http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm
> >
> > Check out participant bios:
> > www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/index.html
> >
> > Hosted by Home Power magazine
> >
> > Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com

> http://calendar.yahoo.com

What will we do if there is another fuel shortage?
Did you know that there is a pollution free, completely
renewable fuel which you can use right now in your own car?
Don't replace the engine, replace the fuel.
Check out my website on making your own fuel:
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
robertwarren at mail.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com