flat mount dilemma [RE-wrenches]

Daryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 15:03:59 PDT 2003

Hello
I have ideas and some flat roof experience, however I
am far from an expert.

When I think flat roof I think ballast pans.  I favor
a flatter array than optimal to keep the array lower
to the roof.  Can you even lay the array on the roof
to prevent wind uplift?  If the ballast pans are
placed on styrofoam to prevent sharp edge effects and
the load is kept to less than 20 pounds per square
foot on the pan/pad?  I usually design for a maximum
uplift of 15 lbs./sq.ft. on the array.  Here in
Minnesota we have to keep the array fairly vertical,
where you are I do not know how to calculate wind
forces because the array is so flat.  Some one with
aero experience should help.

Daryl

http://calendar.yahoo.com

- - - -