Batteries on Concrete / DC ground [RE-wrenches]

Kirk Herander, VSE kirk at vtsolar.com
Mon Apr 28 15:48:03 PDT 2003

I totally agree with Todd. Grounding the negative is not a good idea. In
addition to surface discharge via electrolyte or electrolyte-soaked
dust/dirt to ground, there is a safety standpoint: I have on more than
one occasion felt the mild tickle of a 24 vdc battery bank while
touching the positive terminal with one hand and the other on the
concrete floor of a negative-grounded battery bank in a high-humidity,
summertime basement environment. I thought it was my imagination at
first, then measured the voltage between the two points and full battery
potential was present. Isolating the batteries from the floor solves the
current leakage problem, but does not solve the human safety issue. I
would not have enjoyed the "very evident" high voltage vdc current under
the same circumstance. Just another reason to follow safety precautions,
especially around high voltage systems.

Vermont Solar Engineering
POB 697
Burlington, Vt. 05402