ground rods in concrete/earth [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Sat Apr 26 10:43:00 PDT 2003

Steve,

This is the same idea as the mineral salts-filled grounding tube I
mentioned. The main reason ground rods lose conductivity over time is loss
of moisture in the soil. The salts supposedly maintain conductivity by
keeping the ground around the ground (ground round?) wetter and less
resistant to current. Wouldn't you think that the soil under a nice, big
concrete pad would dry out over time and, therefore, become a less effective
place to ground equipment?

I know that in many communications installations it's common to drive
multiple rods around tower legs, and not under a slab.

Matt T