Off grid with Lutron HomeWorks Interactive Home Automation System [RE-wrenches]

Nick Nicholas, APS APS at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Mon Apr 21 19:24:03 PDT 2003

Hi Jeff Y. and wrenches:
    Before beginning, I want to mention that this system was designed last
summer, and the inverters are already sold (FX is not an option.)
    I have been contracted to install the complete power system for an
off-grid home.  The installation includes 6.6 Kw of solar modules, 3 SW
inverters (two running pumps, one for home loads,) industrial batteries, a
Kohler 10 ROY Diesel generator, the residential electrical wiring, and the
wiring of a Lutron HWI (HomeWorks Interactive) Lighting Control System.  I
have installed much larger HWI systems (one that switches 400+ different
loads from multiple processors), but not in an off-grid application.  I am
interested in reducing the customer's electrical demand as much as possible
(particularly the relays.)
    HWI is a system which consists of Keypads (same function as wall
switches,)  DC communications wiring, a Processor, and relay modules which
open and close circuits.  To turn on a light or load, you push a button on a
keypad, the DC signal communicates with the processor, the processor sends
the control signal (or signals) to the Remote Power Modules (RPM) which then
closes or opens the circuits.  The processor can also be used to communicate
with relay boards.
    This complicated system allows a single button to control one load,
every load in the house, or a combination of loads which can be programmed
to turn on with time intervals.  Loads can also be controlled from a
telephone or remote computer.
    The system that we will be installing will utilize 96 separate relays
for load control.  We will also control 40 lights/plugs with the RPM's.
        Questions:
    1)  What is the most efficient relay I could possibly use on 15 amp
circuits.
    2)  Has anyone had experience running HWI with an SW series inverter.  I
reviewed old posts on this topic.  Jeff Yago had provided valuable
information about his home's X-10 system with SW inverters.  This system is
different from X-10.  I won't forget Jeff's words of advice "if you think
about utilizing remote controls with an SW series inverter, get a string,
and tie it too the switch!"
Thanks, Nick
Alternative Power Systems
www.alternativepowersystems.com