Fw: Interesting installation [RE-wrenches]

William Korthof wkorthof at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 21 16:16:06 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
The City of Los Angeles has developed a very rigorous program
(and process) for PV installations. For a typical residential system,
there are 3 separate inspectors (potentially multiple visits for each).

Must have the right type of AC disconnect, with ability to lock off
your Sunny Boy (in case line workers have nothing better to do).
Each panel needs it's own special ground wire, the MC cables
can't droop on to the roof anywhere. Every installation now needs
a pathfinder (or equivalent) solar/shading analysis. Thou shall use
Shell solar panels (or Powerlight products) or forfeit big rebate $$.
The HVDC disconnect must break the PV at leads at least twice
(no matter whether it's a Siemens, Square D, or other product).

Yet even with all the scrutiny, many LADWP installations aren't
perfect. Example: the extensive PV parking shade canopies at
the HQ building and LA convention center have a really neat
"branches of a tree canopy" appearance. Yet due to their
orientation, the leading upper edge of every panel (N/W side)
severely shades the lower edge of the adjacent panel, resulting
in diminished output until afternoon, year round.

/wk

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm