Taking PV to the Next Level, was: Interesting installation [RE-wrenches]

Bob Maynard, Energy Outfitters bob at energyoutfitters.com
Mon Apr 21 15:40:24 PDT 2003

Jay asked:

Can you give me some examples of other manufactures who  "were more closely
tied to their  installations (as they should be) they would help insure that
their products are installed properly and working as designed"?

Jay and All,

Sounds like Sharp may be the first manufacturer to take an active role in
trying to insure quality installations.  They are setting up training
centers on both the East and West coast and starting in June will offer
certification courses to contractors that want to install the new Sharp
inverter and Sharp residential systems.  My understanding at this time is to
qualify for training, you must be a licensed contractor with PV competency,
insured, and sponsored by a Sharp distributor.  The training will be about 3
days with classroom time, on the roof training, inverter installation and
troubleshooting, followed by a pass/fail examination.  There will be a fee
for the training to insure only those serious attend.

Upon passing the exam, installers will be issued contractor numbers that
will be required to register warranty on the inverter/system.  No
registration number, no warranty!  There is hope to have some type of
factory or distributor on site system inspections at some level to check up
on the contractors work.

I'm not certain of all the details but it sounds like our industry might be
going up a notch.

Regards,
Bob Maynard
Energy Outfitters