Grid-Tie Stumper (for me) [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Tue Apr 15 15:42:28 PDT 2003

Bill, Jeff, Chris and Mo,

I tried sending a reply regarding this but the List wouldn't accept the mail
the other day. Anyway, I suspect that Bill's comment is the closest to the
actual problem; a ground connection situation. We did a 3 phase, 4 SB2500U
SBDs with a mechanical meter at the output, that was behaving exactly the
same way. In our case, the mechanical meter was spinning like a top (it's a
10 k system using 72 Sharp 165's), but the utility TOU meter was going a lot
slower.

When the sun went down was when the big fun started. The customer called to
inform me that the meter was showing about a 4.1 kW load in the middle of
the night WITH NOTHING ON. I called the electrician who had done the hook-up
and we went out to the site to check the problem. All the SB's were
operating properly and were extremely close to each other in their
respective read-outs. There were no faults of any kind (according to the
inverters!)

We (me actually) discovered that one of the phases had been connected
(inadvertently of course) to a neutral/grounded buss at the AC disconnect.
Since SBs will still power-up with one leg going to ground (!), all the
power from that one phase was going right to earth without blowing any of
the numerous breakers in the system. Pretty weird. When the sun was absent
from the mix, the grid took over and thought it was running a nice big load,
hence, big electric bill for one billing cycle.

The problem was corrected and the system has been pumping out (it mainly
runs pumps) over it's rated power virtually every day the sun's been out.
The moral of this story is that it's better to work when you can actually
see what color phase tape is on the end of those wires. The electrician
turned several shades of red and white when he saw what had happened.

Matt T