: Re: Grid-Tie Stumper (for me) [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 15 15:31:54 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Hi Bil and all,

At 2:56 PM -0700 4/15/03, Bill Brooks wrote:
>The strange thing about Mo's situation is that the PV system was turned off
>and the bill went way up. That could happen with a pulse meter, but it is
>more likely that the home is using way more power than previously.

I do not read Mo's description below as having seen the bill go up
when the PV was off.  It did go back up when the PV was turned back
on after a baseline load was established with the PV off (Is that
right Mo?) .  Hence I still suspect the meter and not an increase due
to load.  Those electronic read meters are showing up big time in the
Northeast.

John Berdner,  If you put a SB Control on a 2500 that's alreday been
operating can you download historical data (or does it need to
register it right from the start?)   If so, that -  and the meter I
suggested, Mo that is at GI -  would solve your diagnosis quite
quickly.

At 11:12 PM -0700 4/13/03, Mo Rousso wrote:
>  I further suggested that once the physical
>read was done, that the PV system be turned off and we collect some baseline
>data.  I was suspicious that their energy habits had changed and that their
>consumption had increased.  I asked them to be cognizant of their energy
>usage patterns and not to make any changes during the course of our trials.
>At the start of the next billing cycle, they were to continue using power in
>the same manner as the preceding billing period, but with the PV system back
>on.  Well, that period is now over and the bills are significantly higher
>again!  They are considering having their PV system removed from their home
>- not too cool.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village

Office:  (413) 256-6777,  Cell: (720)480-8455
Fax:  (413) 825-0372
61 Baker Road
Shutesbury, MA 01072

PO Box 764
Boonville, CA  95415
Office:  1-877-SolarVillage
Fax: (707) 897-0224

Council Member - Ecovillage Network of the Americas - http://www.ecovillage.org
Advisory Board - Living Routes - Ecovillage Education -
http://www.livingroutes.org
Founder:  Ecovillage Research, Development, and Demonstration Program:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~clrwater/RDD/rdd.html

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com