: Re: Grid-Tie Stumper (for me) [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Tue Apr 15 14:56:31 PDT 2003

Jeff, Chris, and Mo,

These pulse meters as they are called are not used very often in residential
applications in California so I am skeptical that this is the problem.

The first grid-tied system I did over 12 years ago had a pulse meter, and
the utility came out immediately and started asking questions. The pulses
were way above normal and the register on dial face was way off from the
pulse counter. The counter would in fact get to the registration point and

The strange thing about Mo's situation is that the PV system was turned off
and the bill went way up. That could happen with a pulse meter, but it is
more likely that the home is using way more power than previously.

First check the ground wires for current, then check for new loads. Sounds
like these folks have changed their consumption and don't realize it. This
is a very common problem with PV installations. It is always a key part of
the education for an off-grid customer, but is often overlooked for on-grid
customers--but just as important.

Without a meter measuring the PV output--you are totally sunk. All electric
bill problems suddenly become the fault of the PV system--happens all the
time.

Bill.