effluent pump [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Fri Mar 28 08:33:13 PST 2003

<x-flowed>
>Greetings all,
>
>I have an off-grid customer who has a 200 foot head to pump effluent to
>with an ejector pump.  The one the plumber specified uses 10 amps at
>220vac.  Anyone heard of something more efficient, possibly at 120vac?
>He said his tank was only going to be about 100 gallons (could this be?)
>and that it would probably cycle about three times a day.
>
>Any thoughts greatly appreciated -- Kurt Nelson

If the water is not full of large solids, but is settled, check out
our Solar Force Piston Pump, available in 12/24/48VDC and 115VAC. It
will pass particles the size of coarse sand, if necessary.

Model 3020 will push 4.8 GPM at 200 feet, drawing 308 watts. AC model
draws about 10% more, not including inverter loss.

ref:
http://dankoffsolar.com/cgi-bin/siteman/page.cgi?g=Solar_Water_Pumps%2FSurface_Pumps%2Findex.html&d=1

For evaluating pumping options, I suggest you use the formula I've
pasted below (from our web site, reference section). For AC, estimate
the power draw of the inverter to meet the pump load.

I hope this helps.

Windy

============================

DETERMINE POWER REQUIRED TO PUMP WATER

This is useful for estimating the cost and feasibility of any pumping
system, even if the specific pump is unknown.

WATTS=  ( FEET X GPM X 18.8 )  /  PUMP EFFICIENCY %

Feet or Meters = Total Dynamic Head
Pump Efficiency is "wire to water" (includes motor and pump losses)
Average efficiency for solar pumps is ~ 45% (varies 30 to 60%)
For a conventional AC pump, it is ~35% (varies widely)
Enter Efficiency as a whole number: For 45% enter "45"

TO DETERMINE THE EFFICIENCY of a proposed or existing pump system, invert
the above equation to solve for pump efficiency.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com