blinded by the light?! [RE-wrenches]

John Berdner jberdner at sma-america.com
Fri Mar 7 15:38:40 PST 2003

Wrenches:

The whole reflected light issue is a red herring.
Just fly into LAX and look at the seas of car windows out there in the
parking lots.
Or the Luxor hotel in Las Vegas, etc., etc., etc.
This has come up before and was shot down every time.

Unfortunately, there is a real issue here that has not been discussed.
The large inverters out there being considered for such projects
typically do not meet the FCC requirements for radiated or conducted
emissions.  These babies are radio stations radiating across a wide
spectrum of frequencies. This is most certainly a violation of Federal
requirements and could very well represent a real "hazard to aerial
navigation".  The guy who designed these inverters is a friend of mine,
a pilot, and he agrees.

The US industry has ignored FCC part 15 to date choosing instead to
pretend it does not apply to inverters.  This is incorrect and a
dangerous path to choose.  IMHO, installation of one of these systems in
close proximity to an airport demonstrates some pretty questionable
judgment.  If your project if found to be out of compliance the FCC can
require you to cease operation until you can demonstrate that the
product is in compliance.  This is not easy and will be expensive and
time consuming at best.  At worst there could be an incident for which
you will be found liable. Then there are the difficulties sleeping at
night.

If you have any questions or if I may be of any further assistance,
please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

SMA America, Inc.