Energy efficient pumps. [RE-wrenches]

Robert Warren robertwarren at mail.com
Mon Mar 3 00:32:20 PST 2003

John,
 The industry standard, as far as the solar water heating business is
concerned, are the Grundfos Pumps, such as the UP-15, which has a
stainless steel body and is only 1/25th hp, so it only draws about 30-35
watts. It only handles a 7 foot head, but is fine for closed loop
radiant systems. I have used 6 or 8 of them to circulate radiant warm
water through a fairly large house, and it is by far the cheapest way to
move heat. But you are right in criticising plumbers who are so used to
dealing with grid tie houses, and don't know a better way, as they have
never had to worry about keeping batteries topped off. I never liked the
El Cids: far too noisy.
 Another thing you should check out in terms of designing radiant
systems to be more efficient are the Tekmar line of controls. They are
expensive, but have a diversion valve which allows you to provide the
precise temperature you need to add, so you don't go through the too
hot--too cold cycles of trying to heat a house. Radiant heat from the
floor is the most comfy way to go, by far.
Robert Warren

John Blittersdorf, Cent. VT Solar & Wind wrote:
> Group,
>    Probably a year or so ago, someone in our group mentioned doing lots of
>    work coming up with energy efficient pumping designs... pumps, manifolds
>    etc.
> for radiant floor heating and/or baseboard hot water heat.  I would like
> to  contact that person as I am finding that pump loads are getting out
> of hand
> with some of my off grid systems... It seems that plumbers think that a
> whole
> wall full of pumps is normal!!!!
> I think that 500 to 600 watts to move a little water around is too much.
> know that the ELCids can be used in some applications but would like to
> know
> what other pumps are available. Any info would be appreciated.
>
> John Blittersdorf
> CVSolar
> 213 N.Main St.
> Rutland, VT 05701

What will we do if there is another fuel shortage?
Did you know that there is a pollution free, completely
renewable fuel which you can use right now in your own car?
Don't replace the engine, replace the fuel.
Check out my website on making your own fuel:
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
robertwarren at mail.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com