NIMBYism run amok [RE-wrenches]

Kirk Herander, VSE kirk at vtsolar.com
Mon Feb 17 14:10:19 PST 2003

Here in Vermont, the newpapers are increasing filled with high profile NIMBY
cases in opposition to wind generators. The local paper just the other day
editorialized about utility transmission lines as a blight on the landscape,
and threw in the statement (to quote loosely) "Vermont has no place for
mountaintop transmission lines, wind measuring equipment, or wind towers."

I have a customer presently fighting some NIMBY neighbors. He has a town
permit for his off-grid 100' xl.1 tower. But the NIMBY's, after having lost
at the town level, are appealing to the State Environmental Board, all at my
customer's expense. NIMBY's in VT have appealed all the way to the State
Supreme Court before, and I'll be surprised if it ends with the Enviro
Board. Of course, the nearest neighbor making the big stink is 2000 ft away
from the tower. In her complaint she's also challenged the solar modules,
afraid they will act like mirrors and blind her view, not to mention her
silly arguments in regard to the propane generator. I've found that NIMBY's
most of the time do not approach the issue with an open mind. These
neighbors to my understanding have not bothered to look at other similar
installations I've suggested. They just don't want it "ruining" their
(literally) million dollar view.

Kirk