John Wiles & 600 VDC switches [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Wed Feb 12 17:04:38 PST 2003

Jay,

I didn't say that it was not legal. I was simply responding to John's post
that explained that the manufacturers of these switch are not necessarily
confirming what their literature states. He stated that these manufacturers
do not necessarily support that their switches meet the requirements if they
are used on grounded systems. That was news to me and throws the use of
disconnects other than the Square D disconnect into doubt.

Putting two wires under a single lug is generally not allowed unless the
manufacturer has tested that this condition is acceptable. Most
jurisdictions will outright fail an installation if they see two wires under
a lug. Providing documentation for that is critical if you don't want to be
failed. If two wires are not allowed, then the wires must be combined before
they are landed on the lug with an appropriate multiple lug.

Bill.