Deka vs. Absolyte Batteries [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 10 13:01:54 PST 2003

Several weeks ago I had a post explaining that we were ready to order
a replacement battery bank for a total off grid solar home (no
generator and no grid) having a 4.8 kW array.

Brad Bassett and Dan Duffield we kind enough to reply, but we still
have some concerns on which sealed battery to purchase.  The owner is
disabled, and wanted a zero maintenance battery, which was leading us
to a Gel or AGM type stacked battery, at 1,500 amp-hr @ 48 volt.

Several responses indicated that both would be very good for a "float"
standby application, but on a daily cycling application, some battery
brands stand out.  Based on a known history of loads, the above
battery size should help to keep the daily discharge to about 30% on
average, which should improve battery life.

Several wrenches have indicated that the Deka Unigy II is a lower cost
choice, but may have a positive plate growth problem in a daily
charge/discharge application, and suggested that the GNB Absolyte or
C&D HD series might provide better life.  I read a study that
indicated the GNB Absolyte had a very low discharge rate for extended
storage, but that really does not apply here and this is not a "float"
application.

The main reason we were strongly considering the Daka Unigy II, was
because they have a large distribution center within 20 miles which
saves on shipping and handling costs (they can ship direct to job site
and unload for us!), but I do not want to have an early battery bank
failure because we tried to save the client a few dollars.

Any final thoughts and past experience would be appreciated.

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm