propane refrig. malfunction [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 8 21:09:55 PST 2003

This general information may be out of date because it has been a while since I
worked on propane refrigerators. Whirlpool bought Servel and reprinted the
1933-1957 "Servel Gas Refrigerator Service Manual" in 1977. I bought my copy in
the 1970s from:
Whirlpool Corporation
Parts and Distribution Center
1900 Whirlpool Drive
La Porte, IN 46350.
If a gas refrigerator did not work right, I would clean all the parts, turn the
refrigerator upside down for a few days (sounds crazy but it mixes the ammonia
together) and everything would be ok unless there was a leak. If there was a
leak, I would take the refrigerator to a buddy of mine who would patch the leak
and recharge the ammonia. Another guy taught me how to re-size natural gas
turbulators to propane. He said, "You take a ball peen hammer and peen the
orifice down to about one-third the size because propane molecules are smaller
than natural gas molecules." He even had a special wire that he use to carry in
his bib overalls pocket that he used for a feeler gauge. You may have a natural
gas turbulator if the mid-range temperature adjustment is not around 35 to 40
degrees F.
Best regards,
Joel Davidson

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com